What is SkinPen® Microneedling used to treat and am I a good candidate?
The SkinPen® by Bellus Medical is a non-surgical, cosmetic micro-needling device for the creation of "micro" skin punctures to improve the appearance of the skin. Microneedling allows for controlled induction of the skin's self-repair process by creating precise, micro injuries in the skin in order to induce new collagen production. SkinPen® procedures are beneficial to assist in reducing the various signs of textural irregularities associated with skin aging, improving the appearance of acne scars, as well as softening lines, wrinkles, and stretch marks on the body. One of the most exciting things about SkinPen® is that it can be used on all skin types and skin colors. The procedure typically takes about 60 minutes. A topical anesthetic is applied to the skin prior to the procedure to allow for a relatively pain-free experience.
What are the benefits of Microneedling and how does it work?
- SkinPen® microneedling is minimally invasive and a quick procedure, performed in-office.
- Little recovery downtime makes SkinPen® ideal for a busy lifestyle.
- Results are generated from your own skin's natural collagen remodeling and elastin.
- Ideal for assisting in reducing the signs of aging and improving the appearance of acne scarring, along with reducing the appearance of stretch marks.
- This procedure can be performed on most parts of the body including face, neck, décolletage and stretch marks on the stomach, thighs and buttocks.
- Topical hyaluronic acid or growth factors may be applied directly to the skin post-procedure in order to optimize results.
How many treatments will I need?
The number of procedures required will be determined by our staff based upon your individual procedure goals and the health of your skin. Most patients receive a series of 3 to 6 procedures spaced about 4 weeks apart. Your provider will develop a procedure plan specific to you and also a maintenance plan to help retain the rejuvenating effects.
What type of results will I see?
Patients may notice healthier looking skin immediately. However, the natural repair process of your own skin continues to progress over the course of several weeks. Damage that has occurred over an extensive period of time won't disappear immediately. You may not see the final result for up to 3-6 months following your final session. Results can include improved texture and firmness, as well as a reduction in scars, pore size, and stretch marks. *Individual results will vary.
Is there any downtime associated with this procedure?
The total healing time depends on each individual patient. Most patients have some slight swelling and redness/pinkness (like a mild sunburn) for 2-4 days followed by flaking. Depending on the depth used, some pinpoint bleeding may occur during the procedure which stops almost immediately once the treatment is complete.